SCRIPT WRITING TOP 10 BOOKS, COURSES and SOFTWARE
The following is a list of the top 10 most popular or best selling books, courses and software that will help you write a screenplay. I will be regularly updating this page, so I recommend bookmarking this page for your reference and convenience. Enjoy!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase. Please understand that some of the resources listed below I’ve had experience with and some resources were highly recommended by others. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.
SCRIPT WRITING BOOKS
- Insider’s guide from one of Hollywood’s most successful spec screenwriters
- Shows you how to make your script more marketable and satisfying
- One of the most popular books on high-concept screenwriting
See why this book has become an international best seller and a true classic. The Writer’s Journey explores the powerful relationship between mythology and storytelling in a clear, concise style that’s made it required reading for movie executives, screenwriters, playwrights, scholars, and fans of pop culture all over the world. The updated and revised third edition provides new insights and observations from Vogler’s ongoing work on mythology’s influence on stories, movies, and man himself.
The Screenwriter’s Bible, 6th Edition: A Complete Guide to Writing, Formatting, and Selling Your Script
The 20th anniversary edition of one of the most popular, authoritative, and useful books on screenwriting. A standard by which other screenwriting books are measured, it has sold over 200,000 copies in its twenty-year life. Always up-to-date and reliable, it contains everything that both the budding and working screenwriter need under one cover five books in one!
•Why the first ten pages of your script are crucially important
•How to visually “grab” the reader from page one, word one
•Why structure and character are the essential foundation of your screenplay
•How to adapt a novel, a play, or an article into a screenplay
•Tips on protecting your work—three legal ways to claim ownership of your screenplay
•The essentials of writing great dialogue, creating character, building a story line, overcoming writer’s block, getting an agent, and much more.
John Truby is one of the most respected and sought-after story consultants in the film industry, and his students have gone on to pen some of Hollywood’s most successful films, including Sleepless in Seattle, Scream, and Shrek. The Anatomy of Story is his long-awaited first book, and it shares all his secrets for writing a compelling script. Based on the lessons in his award-winning class, Great Screenwriting, The Anatomy of Story draws on a broad range of philosophy and mythology, offering fresh techniques and insightful anecdotes alongside Truby’s own unique approach to building an effective, multifaceted narrative.
- What fictional dialogue is … and isn’t
- The 11 secrets of crafting memorable dialogue
- The 5 essential tasks of dialogue
- 5 ways to improve your dialogue ear
- 4 can’t-miss methods to increase conflict and tension in any dialogue exchange
- The top 10 dialogue issues, and how to resolve them
Robert McKee’s screenwriting workshops have earned him an international reputation for inspiring novices, refining works in progress and putting major screenwriting careers back on track. Quincy Jones, Diane Keaton, Gloria Steinem, Julia Roberts, John Cleese and David Bowie are just a few of his celebrity alumni. Writers, producers, development executives and agents all flock to his lecture series, praising it as a mesmerizing and intense learning experience.
- Devise powerful plots and subplots and weave them together seamlessly
- Organize your scenes for the greatest impact
- Develop captivating protagonists, worthy antagonists, and engaging secondary characters
- Use dialogue, setting, tone, and voice to enhance your plot
- Layer, refine, and polish your storyline
- Define your story in terms of its theme
The Hollywood Standard describes in clear, vivid prose and hundreds of examples how to format every element of a screenplay or television script. A reference for everyone who writes for the screen, from the novice to the veteran, this is the dictionary of script format, with instructions for formatting everything from the simplest master scene heading to the most complex and challenging musical underwater dream sequence.
No one knows the writer’s Hollywood more intimately than William Goldman. Two-time Academy Award-winning screenwriter and the bestselling author of Marathon Man, Tinsel, Boys and Girls Together, and other novels, Goldman now takes you into Hollywood’s inner sanctums…on and behind the scenes for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, All the President’s Men, and other films…into the plush offices of Hollywood producers…into the working lives of acting greats such as Redford, Olivier, Newman, and Hoffman…and into his own professional experiences and creative thought processes in the crafting of screenplays
SCRIPT WRITING COURSES
Screenwriting classes often either lean too heavily on theory or simply study the technical approach to writing without a greater context for its use, as if the act of screenwriting exists in a vacuum – it does not. In The Screenwriters Toolkit with Jim Uhls, you’ll learn both the nuts and bolts of the craft, as well as its relationship to getting your work read and ultimately produced.
Jim’s sceenwriting credits include the modern classic “Fight Club” the feature-film “Jumper” the NBC television film “Semper Fi” and the SyFy miniseries “Spin”
Paul Castro the original writer of the Warner Bros. hit movie, AUGUST RUSH.He is a produced, award winning screenwriter and world-renowned screenwriting professor. Success leaves clues and so do masterfully crafted screenplays that sell for millions of dollars. Million Dollar Screenwriter
What am I going to get from this course?
- Over 21 lectures and 1.5 hours of content!
- By the end of this course, you will be able to sculpt a full length feature film screenplay.
What is the target audience?
- First time screenwriters and professionals will greatly benefit from this series.
The most overwhelming, yet critical step for the screenwriter is the first draft. Staring at a blank sheet of paper can induce “writers block” faster than any other challenge facing a screenwriter. Screenwriting: The Art of the First Draft will equip you with a roadmap for tackling your initial draft and guide you to the next steps on the scriptwriting journey.
Working as a professional feature film screenwriter demands an understanding of development, rewrites, genres, marketability, drafts, studios, unions, and much more. This class provides a thorough explanation of all facets of the unique business of being a professional feature film screenwriter.
Writing a professional screenplay that stands out from the competition doesn’t have to be a confusing mystery or heartbreakingly painful. Let me show you how I’ve been doing it for years.
My name is Jeffrey Alan Schechter and I’ve been a working writer for over 20 years. My writing has been nominated for two Emmy awards as well as awards from the Writer’s Guild of America, the Writer’s Guild of Canada, and the British Academy of Film and Television Arts. I’m a Gemini award winning producer and the author of the bestselling book My Story Can Beat Up Your Story! , Amazon’s top-reviewed book on screenwriting.
- Eight webinars with Oscar-winning Producer Edward Saxon
- Provides essential lessons on how Hollywood works and achieving your goals
- Offers an unrivaled opportunity to learn from an esteemed Industry insider
- During this webinar, you’ll learn how to design a pilot script for a radically new market place
- Gain a deep understanding of the artistic and commercial forces that are redefining television drama
- Discover the new styles and structures that define good writing in today’s Hollywood – and which old ones will consign your script to the reject pile
- If you’ve written a pilot, are about to write a pilot, or in the middle of writing a pilot, this webinar is essential.
- Discover step by step what the elements and principles of a successful pilot are and how to incorporate them.
- Tools to take your pilot from good to great.
- Learn the 4 absolutely essential elements required to sell a TV pilot or pitch.
- Discover what kind of pilot scripts agents and managers are looking for in the current marketplace.
- Designed for any TV writer, new or experienced, seeking the best possible chance of success.
Aaron Sorkin wrote his first movie on cocktail napkins. Those napkins turned into A Few Good Men, starring Jack Nicholson. Now, the Academy Award winning writer of The West Wing and The Social Network is teaching screenwriting. You’ll learn his rules of storytelling, dialogue, character development, and what makes a script actually sell. By the end, you’ll write unforgettable screenplays.
Join the Masterclass
SCRIPT WRITING SOFTWARE
- Final Draft automatically formats and paginates screenplays and teleplays to entertainment industry standards
- Industry giants such as James Cameron, JJ Abrams and Aaron Sorkin recommend using Final Draft to write your screenplay
- Final Draft is the market leader and the preferred file format of the Writers Guild of America, West Online Script Registration
- Final Draft is the proud recipient of a Primetime Engineering Emmy Award
- Scripts created in Final Draft 9 on Windows, Macintosh or in the Final Draft Writer app for iPad look exactly the same
- Organizational and word processing software for fiction and screenplays
- Uses the full power of the Mac OS X system to dynamically manage your writing project
- Puts all your research and information in one place for easy access while you write
- Story outline software program for screenplays
- Guides you through the complete story development process step-by-step
- Contains the method used by one of Hollywood’s most successful scriptwriters
- Character development software for any type of writing
- Uses the Enneagram and DSM-IV to help you develop fully realized characters
- “Writing Mode” provides easy access to the program throughout the writing process
- Software for developing and formatting a screenplay to Industry standard
- Uses step-outlining to build your story scene-by-scene
- Compare your script pacing with the included outlines of successful Hollywood films
- Software program for writing feature film, television, stage play, and comic book scripts, as well as novels
- Formats and paginates scripts to Industry standard as you type
- Totally customizable, with superior import and production features
- Fast and intuitive Professional storyboard software for film, television, commercial and other film or video project
- Produces unique Data-Rich Storyboards™ that will demonstratively save your production time and money, while allowing you to be more creative
- Turns your computer into an easy-to-use Virtual Film Studio designed for the filmmaker. No drawing, animation or specialized computer skills needed!
- Movie Magic Budgeting is an innovative budgeting and cost estimation tool used by production professionals around the world. It features an intuitive, flexible format that allows users to create and edit comprehensive budgets of all sizes.
- Your production budget is the blueprint that demonstrates how your project will get made. The decision to fund will be based on the information laid out in the budget.
- Originally, a variety of spreadsheets and other financial data were assembled manually and constantly reworked to accommodate different scenarios. But then came Movie Magic.
- The most widely used production budgeting application, Movie Magic Budgeting 7 offers a range of budgeting tools and flexibility not found elsewhere.
- Workflows are designed with an awareness of the complexities of production and the ever-changing issues facing finance professionals.
- Movie scheduling software program for production professionals working on schedules for any size project
- Works the way schedulers think, with tools that provide increased flexibility and versatility in the way schedules can be created and viewed
- Essential for taking a project from script to actionable plan
- Scheduling – Import screenplays directly from your favorite screenwriting software including Final Draft and Movie Magic Screenwriter or import story outline and index cards from StoryO. Easily arrange strips on the stripboard with drag and drop action. Gorilla also alerts you to blackout date
- Budgeting – Special budgeting features include globals, fringes, subgroups, 4th level detail, integrated labor rates (sold separately), international currency support, customizable captions and over fifty templates for features, shorts, and documentaries.
- Storyboard & Shot list – Use the built-in shot library to create a storyboard with shots for each scene. Attach cast, equipment and other breakdown elements to each shot.
- Locations – Location picture library, built-in mapping feature, location fact sheet and more.
- Contacts – Store all of your contact info for cast, crew, agents/managers and companies and use it throughout Gorilla for things like scheduling, budgeting and accounting. Auto-email individuals or groups directly from Gorilla.
LEARN 7 KEY PRINCIPLES USED BY SUCCESSFUL SCREENWRITERS THAT SELL IN THIS FREE E-COURSE.
What you will learn:
- How to write a script
- Screenplay format
- How to write for passion and business
- Exclusive content that I only share through email
Enter your first name and email below to get started!